Currently, I am a Post Doctoral Research Associate at the School of Mathematics and Statistics of Newcastle
University, after having been awarded a Marie Curie COFUND Fellowship on wall-bounded superfluid helium quantum turbulence, issued by the Fonds National de la Recherche, Luxembourg.
My recent research activities concern quantum turbulence in superfluid 4He and vortex dynamics and reconnections in Bose-Einstein Condensates. Regarding superfluid helium turbulent flows I have mainly focused on channel flows where boundaries play an important role in determining the inhomogeneity of the vortex distribution and the polarization of the vortex tangle. In such confined geometries, I have investigated the mutual interaction between the superfluid vortex-lines and the normal component taking thus into account the back reaction of the motion of the vortex lines on the normal fluid dynamics. We have performed the first numerical simulations of this coupled motion in a wall-bounded geometry employing physical parameters typical of experiments and recovering experimental findings. Recently, I have also studied the application of superfluid helium as a cooling fluid for the refrigeration of
cylindrical nanotubes to be employed in innovative quantum computing devices.
The research on Bose-Einstein Condensates has been focused on numerical investigations of vortex dynamics in two- and three-dimensional BECs. In two dimensions we have studied the decay of a giant vortex, while in three dimensions we directed the attention to vortex interaction regimes in confined and inhomogeneous condensates. Working in close collaboration with the experimental and theoretical group in Trento (Ferrari, Lamporesi, Dalfovo) we discovered that new types of interactions (double reconnections, rebounds and ejections) are supported in this finite geometry, arising from the confined and inhomogeneous nature of the system.
In past years, I have also performed investigations on classical wall-bounded turbulence (dissipation of passive scalars in the near-wall region) and solid mechanics (two- and three-dimensional digital-image-correlation algorithms for parameter identification in innovative joints and foams and piezo-electromechanical based smart materials).
Education and Academic Career
• 01.01.2017 - 31.05.2017: Visiting Researcher at the School of Mathematics and Statistics, Newcastle University
• 01.01.2015 - 31.12.2016: Marie-Curie Fellow in quantum fluids at the School of Mathematics and Statis-
tics, Newcastle University (UK). The position is fully supported by a Marie–Curie COFUND fellowship
grant (EU FP7).
• 01.05.2014 - 31.10.2014: Post Doc Research Assistant in continuum mechanics at the International
Research Center on Mathematics and Mechanics of Complex Systems (MeMoCS), Università degli Studi
dell’Aquila (I), under the supervision of Prof. F. Dell’Isola.
• 01.10.2013 - 30.04.2014: Scientific collaboration with Swiss Sailing Team on Streamviewer project
consisting analysing wind and tidal streams measurements.
• 16.05.2011 - 15.09.2013: Post Doc Research Assistant in solid mechanics at the Politecnico di Milano,
Department of Structural Mechanics, under the supervision of Dr. R. Fedele.
• 25.02.2011: Ph.D. Degree in Mathematical Engineering (with merit). Title of thesis: Superfluid flows in
• 01.11.2007 - 31.12.2007: Scientific collaboration at Politecnico di Milano, Department of Aerospace
Engineering, with Prof. Maurizio Quadrio, funded by the Italian Ministery of University and Research.
• 15.02.2007: Master Degree in Physics, Università degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy, with grade of
110/110 cum laude.
• 17.12.2004: Bachelor Degree in Physics, Università degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy, with grade of
Most Relevant Publications
Total number of publications: 15
• Serafini, S. et al., Vortex reconnections and rebounds in trapped atomic Bose–Einstein condensates,
arXiv:1611.01691, in review (PRX)
• Galantucci, L. et al., Large-scale normal fluid circulation in helium superflows, Phys. Rev. B 95, 014509
• Jou, D. et al., Refrigeration of an Array of Cylindrical Nanosystems by Flowing Superfluid Helium, J.
Low Temp. Phys. accepted
• Sciacca, M. et al., Refrigeration of an array of cylindrical nanosystems by superfluid helium counterflow,
Int. J. Heat Mass Tran. 104, 584 (2017)
• Cidrim, A. et al., Controlled polarization of two-dimensional quantum turbulence in atomic Bose-Einstein
condensates, Phys. Rev. A 93, 033651 (2016)
• Galantucci, L. et al., Coupled normal fluid and superfluid profiles of turbulent helium II in channels,
Phys. Rev. B 92, 174530 (2015)
• Giorgio, I. et al., Piezo-electromechanical smart materials with distributed arrays of piezoelectric trans-
ducers: current and upcoming applications, Int. J. Appl. Electrom. 47, pp. 1051-1084 (2015)
• Galantucci, L. et al., Non-classical Velocity Statistics in Counterflow Quantum Turbulence, Acta Appl.
Math. 132, pp. 273-281 (2014)
• Fedele, R. et al., Global 2D digital image correlation for motion estimation in a finite element framework:
a variational formulation and a regularized, pyramidal, multi-grid implementation, Int. J. Numer. Meth.
Eng. 96, pp. 739-762 (2013)
• Galantucci, L. et al., Turbulent superfluid profiles in a counterflow channel, J. Low Temp. Phys. 162, pp.
• Galantucci, L. et al., Very fine near-wall structures in turbulent scalar mixing, Int. J. Heat Fluid Fl. 31,
pp. 499-506 (2010)
• Quantum Turbulence Workshop, April 2017, Tallahassee, FL (USA) (INVITED)
• APS - Division Fluid Dynamics, November 2016, Portland, OR (USA)
• JQC Symposium and MACRO Conference, September 2016, Newcastle (INVITED)
• Quantum Gases and quantum coherence, September 2016, Salerno (Italy)
• UK Fluids Conference, September 2016, London
• Quantum Fluids and Solids 2016 (QFS 2016), August 2016, Prague (Czech Republic)
• IUTAM Symposium on Helicity Structures and Singularity in Fluid and Plasma Dynamics, April
2016, Venezia (Italy)
• EuHIT Cryogenic Turbulence Workshop, October 2015, Grenoble (France)
• Workshop on Interpretation of Measurements in superfluid Helium 4, September 2015, CEA -
Saclay (Paris, France)
• QFS 2015, August 2015, Niagara Falls (USA)
• Non-equilibrium quantum dynamics in low dimensions, July 2015, Durham
• 8th International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing, September 2013, Trieste (Italy)
• QFS 2012, August 2012, Lancaster
• QFS 2010, August 2010, Grenoble (France)
• Workshop on Quantum Turbulence, August 2010, Grenoble (France)
Invited Seminars and Research Visits
• University of East Anglia, Norwich, 30 January 2017.
• INO-CNR BEC Center in Trento (Italy), 16 December 2015.
• One week as Visiting Researcher at Università di Palermo, hosted by Dr. M. Sciacca for research collab-
oration on Quantum Turbulence 1-7 July 2013.
• 2015: Young Researchers 2015 Grant issued by Italian National Group of Mathematical Physics
(GNFM), in collaboration with Prof. M. Sciacca and Dr. Lidia Saluto. Project title: Theo-
retical and numerical studies on turbulent superfluid helium in plane counterflow channels
• 2014: Two–year Marie–Curie Fellowship grant (EU FP7 scheme) issued by the Fonds National de la
Recherche, Luxembourg. Project title: Quantum Turbulence in Helium II Counterflow Channels
• 2013: Young Researchers 2013 Grant issued by Italian National Group of Mathematical Physics
(GNFM), in collaboration with Prof. M. Sciacca and Dr. Gargano. Project title: Statis-
tical features of quantum turbulent flows in Helium counterflow channels.
• 2012: Young Researchers 2012 Grant issued by Italian National Group of Mathematical Physics
(GNFM), in collaboration with Prof. M. Sciacca. Project title: Study of turbulent flows
in superfluid helium.